Butternut Squash and Gala Apple Soup
- Soups & Stews
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups medium diced Vidalia onions
- 1 cup medium diced celery
- 1 shallot, small diced
- 4 pounds medium diced butternut squash
- 1 pound Gala apples, peeled and cored
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups local apple cider
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Creme fraiche, to garnish
- Pumpkin seeds, to garnish
- In a large stockpot, melt butter and oil.
- Add onions, celery and shallot. Sweat, uncovered over low heat for 15 minutes. Stir often, making sure the vegetables do not caramelize.
- Chop apples into medium pieces. Add apples and diced squash to the stockpot. Cover with vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over medium-high heat for 30 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Strain the vegetables, reserving the cooking liquid (you will need it to make the soup the proper consistency).
- Puree the vegetable/apple/squash mixture using a food processor until it is very smooth. Using the apple cider and reserved cooking liquid, thin the puree to acquire a proper, soup consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche and pumpkin seeds.