Organic Quinoa Burger
- 8 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 cup of spinach, cooked and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup mixed onion and garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup red quinoa, rinsed and cooked to package directions
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup oats, pulsed in a food processor until ground
- 15 soft, toasted buns or rolls, preferably brioche
- Cut the mushrooms into thin strips. Place the chopped mushrooms and cooked spinach into a bowl and set aside.
- Place 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion mixture and red pepper flakes to the pan and cook for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture begins to soften.
- Add the mushrooms and spinach to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, cooked quinoa and salt. Let cool completely.
- Stir the egg and oats into the quinoa-spinach-mushroom mixture. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour, or until cold and firm.
- When quinoa-spinach mixture has chilled, shape into small patties of preferred size, between 1/4-inch and 1/2-inch thick.
- Place the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When skillet is hot, place the quinoa patties into the skillet in an even layer. You may have to cook them in batches or use two skillets.
- Cook the quinoa patties for about 3 minutes on each side, or until they are crispy on the outside and cooked through.
- Serve each quinoa burger on a toasted bun. Finish burger with garnish (lettuce, tomato, avocado, pickled onion, relish) and sauce of your choice. (Try this chipotle pepper mayonnaise (mix store-bought mayo with chipotle pepper puree, to taste). Mustard works great, as well.)