- Flour for dusting
- 5 ounces butter
- 2 ounces olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2-3 heads of wild garlic, sliced very thin
- 6 ounces Guanciale, medium dice
- 8 10 ounce free-range Pheasant French Breast
- 2 pounds of gnocchi (see recipe below)
- Spring Onion Ragu (see recipe below)
- 1 pound of mixed wild greens
- Ramp Butter (see recipe below)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pound breasts lightly with meat mallet to a consistent thickness.
- In a large non-stick oven proof skillet, add 2 ounces of butter and melt over high heat.
- Season breasts well with salt and pepper, dust with flour and shake off excess.
- Add the pheasant skin side down, cooking until browned and well-seared, about 5 minutes.
- Turnover and transfer the pan to the lower rack of the oven.
- Cook until just about medium, about 6 to 8 minutes depending on the size of the pheasant breast. Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven, remove pheasant and allow to rest before cutting.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season liberally with salt. Add gnocchi and cook until they float about 7-8 minutes. With a Slotted spoon lift the gnocchi on to a dry kitchen towel to dry. Heat a large skillet with rest of butter. Once hot and gnocchi are dry, add gnocchi to pan and brown each side. Once brown reserve on a baking tray. Wipe out skillet and add Guanciale and cook till brown, add Spring Onion Ragu. Return gnocchi to pan and toss and reserve for plating
- For the wilted wild greens place a large skillet over high heat, add olive oil and heat until hot, add wild garlic and sautee till golden brown, add wild greens, lemon zest, salt & pepper and sautee quickly with just enough to heat & wilt
- Place a spoonful of gnocchi in the middle of the plate slightly off center, slight of the gnocchi place wilted greens. Slice Pheasant and place over greens and place 2 very thin slices of ramp butter on top