Serving: 6 cups
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6 cups water
- 8 to 10 dried Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari, or to taste
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan.
- Add the onion and garlic and saut? over medium heat until the onion is golden.
- Add the water, mushrooms and soy sauce or tamari. Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand another 15 minutes.
- Strain through a fine sieve.
- Reserve the mushrooms, trimming them of their tough stems. Save them for another use or slice them and return them to the broth.