- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- grated zest and juice of 2 limes (reserve 2 tablespoons juice separately)
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 rings sliced pickled jalapeño (plus some brine from the jar)
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup diced peeled cucumber
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- In a blender, combine watermelon, lime zest, lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 3 pickled jalapeño rings and a splash of the jalapeño brine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Blend until very smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings with a little more jalapeño brine if needed (use up to 2 tablespoons total to balance the flavors).
- Transfer the soup to a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 3 hours.
When ready to serve the soup:
- Finely chop the remaining jalapeño ring and place in a medium bowl.
- Add cucumber, basil, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil and remaining 2 teaspoons lime juice. Season with salt and pepper and another splash of jalapeño brine. Whisk together until smooth.
To serve: Stir the chilled soup if it has separated, then ladle into bowls. Place a dollop of cucumber relish in the center.
Photo by Jamie Prescott