- 3 medium to large beets
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- soy sauce to taste
- 1/2 pound green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/2 cup pureed tomato or tomato juice
- sour cream
- Trim beet leaves to 1 inch above root. Keep tail intact. Boil beets in vegetable stock about 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Remove from stock, cool, trim, peel and chop coarsely. Return to stock.
- 2. Add honey, vinegar, soy sauce and cabbage to the stock. Cook until cabbage is tender, about 10 minutes.
- 3. Stir in tomato puree and cook another 10 to 15 minutes. Serve hot or cold with a generous mound of sour cream.