- 2 cross-cut beef shanks (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 pint to 1 quart of beef stock (use beef broth if you have it)
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- A splash of red wine (to deglaze the searing pan)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 2 large pinches dried thyme)
- Sprinkle both sides of the beef shank with salt and pepper.
- In a braising pot, sear both sides of the shank on the stove.
- Remove the beef shank from the pot and add a bit of red wine to deglaze. Bring the wine to a boil while whisking to pull up beef drippings.
- Add the celery, carrots and onions to the pot.
- Put the beef shank back into the pot and add enough beef stock to cover 2/3 of the shank.
- Cover and put the pot into oven. Cook for 2 hours, or until meat is very tender.