- 1 pound dried cannellini beans
- 4 ounces pancetta, diced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 onions, fi nely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Parmigiano rind
- 1 pound Tuscan kale, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place beans in a pot and add enough water to cover beans by 2 inches. Bring to a boil.
- Remove pot from heat and let stand, uncovered, for 1 hour.
- Drain beans in a colander and rinse.
- In a soup pot, cook pancetta in olive oil for 2 minutes.
- Add onions, carrots and celery and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add beans, Parmigiano rind, chicken stock and 4 cups of water. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until beans are tender, about an hour.
- Stir in kale, return to a simmer and cook until the kale is tender, about 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Serve in warm bowls topped with Parmigiano Reggiano shavings.