- 3 1⁄2 cups all purpose flour (King Arthur “Sir Galahad”)
- 1 1⁄4 cups cake flour (King Arthur “Guinevere”)
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened slightly
- 1 egg, large
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- Break butter into small pieces and cut into flour mixture until butter is in pea-size pieces.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg, buttermilk, raisins and caraway seeds.
- Add wet ingredients to dry. Be careful to not over mix.
- Shape dough into around and score with a simple X.
- Bake in 350 ̊F oven 30 to 35 minutes.
Immediately after taking bread from oven, brush it with the melted butter and allow to cool.