Who doesn’t love the perfect combination of potatoes and cheese? Give the pairing a fancy twist with this potato au gratin recipe.
1 lb peeled white or Russet potatoes
¾ cup milk
¾ cup heavy cream
1 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp pepper and ¼ tsp nutmeg, to taste
1 cup Goliath cheese from McGrath Cheese Company (or any of the following: havarti, fontina, Swiss, gruyère, or Gouda)
3 Tbsp butter, diced
2 tsp smoked paprika
12 oz. fresh cheese curd (optional)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil. Cook potatoes until tender, like “you can cut with a spoon,” about 15 minutes.
- Place blanched, diced potatoes in a baking dish.
- In a 2- to 4-quart saucepan, bring milk, heavy cream, salt, and mustard to a simmer. Remove from heat and add pepper and nutmeg and cheese, stirring until cheese has melted.
- Pour cheese mixture over potatoes and dot with butter, paprika, and fresh cheese curd (if using). Cover with foil or plastic wrap (poke holes for air flow) and refrigerate for 12 hours or overnight (best practice)
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes and serve immediately.
Related: Pumpkin Mac & Cheese