- 6 large potatoes cubed
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup dried barley (exclude on Passover)
- 1 cup assorted dried beans (limas, black beans, white beans, pink beans–one or all)
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds flanked or stew meat (or substitute lamb or chicken)
- Season with salt and pepper or any other kind of herbs and spices you prefer for stews (bay leaf, dried tomato powder, pinch of paprika, for example).
- Combine all ingredients in a crock pot (vegetables on bottom) and cover with water.
- Place crock pot on low setting and cook for 24 hours or until meat is desired tenderness.
- Can also be made in a pot on the stove over a very low flame.