- 3 1/2 ounces dry currants
- 1/4 cup dark rum
- 7 ounces sugar
- 7 ounces unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 large egg yolk, room temp.
- 7 ounces bread flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces cornmeal
Pre-heat oven to 350º F.
- Macerate currants and rum for 30 minutes.
- Cream together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk and combine well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Stir into butter-sugar mixture along with the cornmeal, then stir in the currants and rum mixture.
- Divide the dough into two pieces and roll into logs, then flatten the logs and refrigerate until firm.
- When the dough is chilled and firm, slice each slab into about 25 pieces.
- Place pieces on sheet tray lined with parchment paper, bake at 350F until lighly browned, about 12 to 15 minutes.
This dough can stay refrigerated for later use.