Yields 1 loaf (doubles easily for 2)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unbleached white flour
- 1/2 cup amaranth or quinoa flour (if unavailable, substitute an additional l/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 egg, or 2 egg whites, beaten
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup vanilla, non-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted prunes
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
Preheat the oven to 350º F.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and allspice in a mixing bowl and stir together.
- In another bowl, combine the egg, brown sugar, yogurt, lemon rind and vanilla and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the wet mixture and stir together vigorously until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in the cranberries, prunes, and pecans.
- Pour the mixture into an oiled 9- by 5- by 3-inch loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center tests clean. Cool on a rack, then cover tightly with foil to store.