- 26 1/2 ounces all purpose flour
- 2 sachets dry yeast
- 6 ounces sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 2 1/2 ounces butter
- 2 1/2 ounces lard
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 3 ounces sour cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 to 3 tablespoon rum
- 1 1/2 ounces raisins
- 1 3/4 ounces mixed candied fruit
- zest of one orange, finely grated
- zest of half lemon, finely grated
- 1 egg
Pre-soak raisins in the rum for about an hour before making the bread.
Preheat oven to 350 ̊F
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add salt, sugar and vanilla sugar.
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk and add to the flour mixture.
- Add 3 whole eggs, one extra egg yolk, sour cream and citrus zest and mix in well, then add candied fruit, raisins and rum.
- Knead mixture for at least 10 minutes until ingredients are evenly distributed and a soft dough forms.
- Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and let it rise in a warm place until doubled in size (this should take about an hour).
- Punch the dough down, then knead it another 10 minutes, adding (cooled) melted butter and lard. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in warm place until again doubled in size.
- Shape the dough into 5 round loaves, place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper and let them rest 30 minutes.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut a cross into the surface of each bun. Brush the surface with whisked egg, then set breads aside for 10 minutes.
- Bake in 350 ̊F oven 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove bread from oven. While the loaves are still hot, brush again with whisked egg and sprinkle with vanilla sugar.