- 6-8 ounce duck breast, cleaned and trimmed
- 2 cups dry sherry
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 1/2 tsp curing salt
- 2 tbsp coarse pepper
- Place duck in a large airtight bag. Combine all other ingredients and pour over the duck in the bag. Squeeze out the air and let it marinate in the refrigerator for 48 hours.
- Remove the duck from the bag and place in a smoker (if you don’t have a smoker, you can use your barbecue).
- Smoke the duck for about 45 minutes, or until the internal temperature has reached 150 degrees. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees.
- In a hot pan with oil, sear the duck breast, skin side down, until it is crisp.
- Place in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Slice and serve over cheese grits with your favorite brown sauce, such as demi-glace.