- 1 bunch dandelion greens (see note)
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
Note: Dandelion greens should be gathered in early spring while still young. Don’t pick greens that grow on chemically treated lawns; never pick greens from roadsides or near railroad tracks-they may be contaminated with lead or other poisons.
- Thoroughly wash the greens.
- Fry the bacon until crisp, cut into small pieces and add to the greens.
- Melt the butter with the cream in a skillet over a low flame.
- Beat eggs, add salt, pepper, sugar and vinegar and add to the cream mixture.
- Increase the heat slightly and cook the dressing, while stirring continuously, until thick.
- Pour the dressing hot over the greens, toss, and serve.