- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sweet butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Measure all ingredients into a large bowl. Knead with hands until well blended. The dough will be soft.
- Pat dough evenly into two 9-inch round cake pans. Prick dough in many places with fork.
- Bake shortbread about 45 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven to cooling rack. While the shortbread is still warm, cut each into 12 wedges, then allow to cool in pans on wire racks.
- When cool, remove from pans; store in tightly covered container.