- 2 Fazio Farms chickens, cut into breasts and legs
- 12 small beets, peeled
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 1 pound spring onions, tops removed and reserved
- 1/2 pound butter
- local watercress, to garnish
- olive oil
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350° F
- In a large skillet, season and pan sear chicken legs and breasts until golden.
- Place chicken in the oven and roast until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 155° F.
- Remove from oven and set chicken aside (the chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165° F to be ready to serve).
- Lower oven temperature to 275° F.
- In a bowl, mix vinegar, olive oil, shallots, garlic and thyme. Use 3/4 of mixture to coat the beets, reserve the remaining mixture.
- Lay beets on a cookie sheet and place in 275° F oven. Slow roast the beets until fork tender and slightly dehydrated. Remove from over, and while the beets are still warm toss with the remaining marinade.
- Slice both the bottom and tops of the spring onions and reserve separately.
- In a saucepan over low to medium heat, melt the butter and cook the spring onion bottoms for about 45 minutes until they become very tender. Fold in onion tops and season to taste.
- To plate, place a small pile of onions on each plate and top with 1 chicken breast and 1 leg. Top with quartered beets.
- Toss the watercress with a little bit of olive oil and lemon juice. Garnish each plate with the dressed watercress and season to taste.