Yields one 8-inch cake.
- 7 ounces semi- or bittersweet chocolate (good quality, such as Callebaut or Bakers)
- 13 tablespoons butter
- 7 large eggs (at room temperature, separated)
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder for dusting
Preheat oven to 325º F.
- Butter and sugar a 8-inch springform pan.
- Combine the chocolate and butter and melt in the microwave (low power) for 3 minutes, longer if needed. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar until pale yellow in color, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In another large bowl with clean beaters, beat the egg whites until they hold soft peaks, then add the remaining 6 tablespoons of sugar to the whites and beat to stiff peaks.
- Fold the cooled chocolate into the beaten egg yolks.
- Fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture, then fold in the remaining whites.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared springform pan and bake at 325F for 50 to 55 minutes. The cake will rise above the pan and form a crust on the top.
- Cool the cake in the pan.
To serve, take the cake out of the pan and dust with cocoa powder.