- 3 pounds beef
- root vegetables (leeks, turnips, etc,) for the stock
- 1/4 pound fresh mushrooms
- 6 to 9 medium potatoes, quartered
- handful of green onions, minced
- greens, fine chop (for garnish)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 or 2 yellow onions
- black pepper
- Prepare a good beef stock using the beef, root vegetables and your spices. Strain.
- An hour before serving, blanch mushrooms in boiling water.
- In a deep pan, fry the blanched mushrooms and one chopped onion in butter and sprinkle them with about 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Add the beef stock and potatoes and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Add a handful of minced green onions and salt to taste (optional: add 1/4 to 1/2 cup sour cream).
- Briefly bring to a boil; ladle out soup into a tureen and top with chopped greens and fresh black pepper.