- gently washed and dried fresh squash blossoms
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 tablespoons seasoned fine bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder or cayenne pepper
- parsley, cilantro and/or sweet red pepper, fine chop
- oil for frying
- Press each blossom flat and extend the petals to reveal the flower.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and spices.
- Dip each flattened blossom into the egg, then into the breadcrumbs.
- Add enough oil to a heavy skillet to cover the bottom. Heat to medium heat and fry 6 flowers at a time until crisp and golden, turning once.
- Remove and drain on paper towel.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, cilantro and/or red pepper.