- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cup almonds, lightly toasted, finely chopped
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 10 egg yolks
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 souffle molds 4 inches in diameter and 2 inches deep
- 2 sheets of baking paper
Preheat oven to 200º F
- Cut 8 pieces of baking paper 3 inches wide and 1 inch longer than the circumference of the souffle mold. Tape this paper around the outside of each mold, so there is 2 inches of paper above the top of the mold. Put these aside until the meringue and souffle mix is ready.
- On another piece of baking paper draw 16 circles, a little smaller than the circumference of the souffle mold, then turn this paper upside down onto a sheet pan. Put aside until the meringue is ready.
- Whip the egg whites together with one cup of sugar in a mixture on high speed for about 5 minutes, or until they are stiff and glossy.
- Gently fold the almonds into the egg whites. Spread this meringue onto each circle a quarter-inch thick. Bake for 1 1/2 hours, and then cool in a dry place while the souffle batter is being made.
- Cook the sugar and water over high heat for about 10 minutes, or until it becomes light golden brown in color.
- Whip heavy cream until stiff, and set aside.
- Whip egg yolks about 10 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Slowly add the warm cooked sugar mixture to the egg yolks and continue whipping for an additional 10 minutes, until cool.
- Gently fold egg yolks into the whipped cream with lemon zest and juice.
- Place one meringue round in the bottom of each souffle mold.
- Fill each one with the souffle batter to 1/2 inch below the top of the mold.
- Place another meringue round on top, then add more batter to fill 1/4 inch from the top of the paper.
- Place molds in the freezer for 5 hours to set.
To serve, remove from the mold and plate with fresh raspberries.