- 1 pound dried fava beans
- 1 tablespoon white rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon red lentils, uncooked
- 1/2 cup medium chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup medium chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Thoroughly wash the fava beans
- Place washed fava beans in a metal pot with a tight-fitting lid, and add water to 3 inches above the beans.
- Add uncooked rice and red lentils.
- Tightly cover and cook over very low heat 6 to 8 hours.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan and saut? onions and garlic over medium heat until fragrant (about 3 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes and cilantro and continue to cook the mixture for another 2 minutes.
Add salsa and lemon juice to fava beans and serve. Variations: Add tahini, hard boiled eggs or hot sauce.