- 3 pounds carrots, rinsed, peeled and grated (by hand or in a food processor)
- 6 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder (available in Indian markets)
- 1/4 cup roasted unsalted cashews, slivered, chopped or whole
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 14-ounce can low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- Melt the ghee in a big, heavy stainless steel or nonstick pot over medium heat.
- Add the grated carrots and sauté, stirring often, until soft—about 30 minutes.
- Add the condensed milk and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens and is almost dry, about 25 minutes.
- Reduce heat and add nuts, raisins and cardamom powder.
- Mix well and cook over low heat another 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and allow the halwa to cool.