- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 cups flour
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter (and more for greasing the pan)
- 3/4 cup currants
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied ginger
- 1/4 cup finely chopped lemon peel
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Mix baking powder with the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender (or a food processor) until the mixture resembles course meal.
- Stir in the currants, raisins, 1/4 cup ginger and candied lemon peel.
- Whisk the eggs with the milk and stir into the cake mixture.
- Heavily butter a 12-inch loaf pan. Spoon in the dough, sprinkle on the tablespoon of ginger pieces and place in the oven.
- Bake about 60 minutes. “To tell when done: plunge a clean knife into the middle of cake, if removed clean the cake is done,” says the original Lyndhurst recipe.