- 1 organic lemon, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 cups green tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups organic raisins
- 1/4 cup fresh ginger root, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small hot pepper, finely chopped (remove the seeds for less heat)
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- makes about 1 1/2 quarts
- Place all the ingredients in a non-reactive stock pot.
- Simmer until the sauce has thickened for at least 2 hours. Stir frequently to prevent scorching.
The chutney keeps well for weeks in the refrigerator. To preserve for longer storage, ladle hot mixture into sterile, hot jars and seal. Process for 15 minutes in boiling-water bath. Refer to canning instructions in Rombauer and Becker, Joy of Cooking, from which this recipe has been adapted.
For a quick quesadilla, sprinkle grated cheddar cheese or goat cheese on half of a whole wheat tortilla. Dot with chutney and fold tortilla in half. Heat on a grill or iron skillet until warmed through and tortilla is slightly crispy.