- 1 pattypan squash, about a pound, cut into quarters
- 4 tablespoons fresh summer savory, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices Haloumi chees, 1/4-inch thick
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano (grated fine)
- 4 cups basil leaves (packed tight)
- 2 tablespoons sea salt (more as necessary)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (more if necessary)
- Combine squash, savory, garlic and olive oil in a mixing bowl and toss well.
- Add sea salt and fresh black pepper to taste.
- Place all ingredients except basil in a blender and purée until smooth, about a minute. Remove from blender into a bowl.
- Add basil to purée—mix thoroughly to get the purée smooth.
Preheat the grill
- Spread the basil purée onto four plates.
- Grill the squash to get good color on all sides. Arrange squash evenly on top of the basil purée on the plates.
- Heat the cheese on the grill. It will hold its form while being heated, but don’t ignore it. When heated, place the cheese on the plates next to the squash and serve.