(A cross between a sugar and a butter cookie)
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) butter
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Form into cylinders 2 inches in diameter and 6 inches long. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes until very firm.
- Cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices and bake on an ungreased baking sheet at 350F for 7 to 8 minutes, or until lightly brown around the edges.
The dough can be frozen for future use and sliced and baked as needed.