- 2 whole eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups hazelnuts, toasted, peeled
- 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks (optional)
Preheat oven to 350º F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, combine the eggs, yolk, sugar and vanilla using medium-high speed until thick and light in color.
- In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer stand and add the flour mixture. Combine gently by hand, without over-mixing.
- Fold in the hazelnuts and chocolate pieces, if using, by hand until well combined.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and divide into three equal parts. Shape each piece into a large log and place on parchment-lined sheet trays.
- Bake logs until they begin to firm up (but without color), about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly on wire racks. Reduce oven temperature to 300?F.
- Slice logs on a bias about 3/4-inch thick. Return biscotti to parchment-lined sheets cut-side up and bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, flip biscotti over to expose other cut side and bake for another 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove biscotti from the oven and allow to cool completely on wire rack. Biscotti will become hard and crunchy during cooling time.
Serve with homemade lemon ice cream.