Yields about 10 dozen
- 1 pound butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 to 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced almonds (optional)
- about 6 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter, dark and white sugar, molasses and maple syrup. Stir until it is just about to boil, then remove from heat. Cool until lukewarm.
- Sift together the spices and stir into the butter mixture.
- Add the sliced almonds. Then stir in the flour to make a non-sticky dough.
- Remove the dough from the mixing pan and transfer it to a mixer. Mix well.
- Remove from the mixing bowl and use portions of dough to roll cylinders 2 inches in diameter and 6 inches long.
- Wrap the cylinders in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight until very hard.
- The next day, cut the cylinders into very thin slices-the thinner the better.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 6 to 8 minutes.