- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 12 unpeeled garlic cloves
- 1 small bunch of thyme, separated
- 2 organic lemons, sliced 1/2-inch-thick cross-wise
Combine marinade ingredients.
Butterfly the poussins.
Marinade the poussin in a non-reactive pan 12 to 24 hours in refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 500° F.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade (reserve lemons, garlic and thyme), and season the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast iron pan large enough to hold the poussins comfortably, and brown the chicken quickly on both sides.
- Place the pan in 500 oven and roast until a thermometer registers 160° F at the thickest part of the breast.
- About 20 minutes into the cooking, add reserved garlic cloves, lemon slices and thyme.
- Remove chicken from oven and place on a platter to rest while you deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of brown chicken stock. Let boil until the liquid is reduced by half and serve over poussins.
Garnish with thyme, caramelized garlic and lemon slices.