- 4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate, cut into quarters
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 4 to 6 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups boiling water and 2 cups boiling whole milk (or 2 cups boiling water and 2 cups boiling Half-and-Half)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Process the chocolate pieces in a food processor outfitted with a metal blade until they are reduced to fine granules.
- Place the chocolate in a saucepan large enough to hold a quart of liquid. Add the cinnamon, cayenne, ginger and sugar.
- Pour on the boiling water slowly and stir with a whisk to dissolve the chocolate.
- Add the vanilla and milk. Whisk over low heat until incorporated.
Serve the drink in 4-ounce cups.