- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ice water
- lemon juice
- 4 to 5 sweet ripe peaches
- 8 to 10 ripe italian plums
- 1/4 cup wild blueberries
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, depending on sweetness of fruit
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice and halve peaches and plums; toss in a bowl with sugar, flour and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix flour and sugar and add cold pieces of butter. Work with fork until crumbly.
- Dribble in 2 tablespoons of ice water and a tiny splash of lemon juice. Work with hands until mixture forms a ball, adding a bit of flour or water if you need to. Don’t overwork the dough.
- You can wrap and refrigerate the dough for 1/2 hour first, or simply roll it out to a diameter big enough to drape in your 9-inch pie dish and up the sides. Patch up any holes and make the edge even.
- Pour in the fruit and sprinkle blueberries over the top. Bake 40 to 45 minutes at 400°F.
Seasonal suggestions: (Spring) strawberries or mulberries with sliced rhubarb. (Fall) apples [peeled, cored and sliced] with cranberries, dotted with butter before baking.