- 3 pounds starchy potatoes, such as Arcadia, Gold Rush or Yukon Gold, peeled and sliced into chunks
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Hen of the woods sauté
- 2 pounds hen of the woods mushrooms (or other wild mushroom variety)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. Add the potatoes and cook until just tender. (The center of the potato should still be slightly hard.)
- Strain potatoes and let dry.
- Mix chopped chives with olive oil and vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- While the potatoes are still slightly warm, toss gently with the oil and chives mixture to coat; set aside.
- Clean mushrooms and cut into long strips. Saute them with a small amount of olive oil, then stir in garlic and white wine.
- Bring to a boil and allow to boil until you no longer smell alcohol from the wine.
- Add lemon zest and butter.
- Reduce heat and cook 15 minutes.
To serve, arrange potato salad on a plate and top with mushroom saute.