½ cup canned pumpkin purée
½ pound elbow macaroni
4 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon salt
2½ cups whole milk
3 cups grated cheddar cheese
3 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Cook pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente or about 6 minutes (or according to package instructions).
- While pasta cooks, heat a medium-size saucepan over medium-high heat and melt butter. Add flour and whisk, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Add milk and bring to a boil while constantly whisking, until thickened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in pumpkin purée and half the cheese. Mix until the cheese is incorporated in the sauce and remove from heat.
- Drain cooked pasta and pour directly into the sauce. Mix well.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish and add pasta mix. Top with remaining grated cheese and breadcrumbs, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until browned on top. Cool slightly before serving.