Sagaponack Corn Pudding
Recipe adapted from Inta Garden archives.
- 1/4 pound unsalted butter
- 5 cups fresh corn kernels cut off the cob (6 to 8 ears)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 extra large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar, plus extra to sprinkle on top
Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a very large saute pan, melt the butter and saute corn and onion over medium-high heat for 4 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and half and half in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in cornmeal and then ricotta.
- Add the basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Then add the cooked corn mixture and grated cheddar.
- Pour into a greased 8-10 quart baking dish. Sprinkle the top with more grated cheddar.
- Place the baking dish in a larger pan and fill the large pan halfway up the sides of the dish with hot tap water. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the top browns and a knife/ toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.