Pomegranate juice is a popular repast in India, this combination of rhubarb and pomegranate is brilliant in color. Both fruits pack powerful nutritious punches.
Makes about 1 1/2 quarts
- 1 pound rhubarb, washed, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 to 1 1/2 cups sugar or equivalent sweetener
- 2 cups fresh pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup strained orange juice or rose syrup
- Place the rhubarb, water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain the juice through a fine nylon sieve resting over a bowl. Discard the pulp.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the liquid and cool to room temperature.
Chill well and serve over crushed ice or in chilled glasses.