Inspiration struck mixologist Clark Moore while tasting Denning’s Point Distillery’s Maid of the Meadow. This cocktail is ideal for an evening with “a bit of a bite in the air,” he notes. “I like the interplay of the overtly floral vodka, the exotic brightness of the tangerine, the citrusy lift from the lemon, and the softness of the vanilla to round everything out. The addition of Viskill Vodka adds just a touch of fortitude—otherwise the sweetness of the Maid of the Meadow along with the vanilla and tangerine would be slightly out of balance.”
- 1 1/2 ounces Denning’s Point Maid of the Meadow Vodka
- 1/2ounce Denning’s Point Viskill Vodka
- 3/4 ounce fresh tangerine
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon 1/4 ounce vanilla syrup*
- a few chamomile flowers for garnish
*recipe for vanilla syrup below
- Combine ingredients in a tumbler, add ice, shake.
- Double-strain into a chilled, 5 1/2-ounce coupe glass.
- Garnish with chamomile flowers.
*To make vanilla syrup:
In a small saucepan, bring one cup water and one cup light brown sugar to a boil, then stir in 5 Madagascar vanilla beans, scraped and sliced. Remove pan from heat and allow to cool. Strain (do not fine-strain—flecks of vanilla are an interesting element of the cocktail).