- 1 13 1/2-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 split lemongrass stalk
- 1 tablespoon ginger, garlic, scallion, cilantro, fresh green chile
- 8 medium dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons curry powder or curry paste
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 quart roasted, bite-sized, par-cooked root vegetables, such as parsnips, turnips, or butternut squash
- 1/4 cup Thai or Vietnamese fish sauce
- 2 cups sauteed greens, such as kale or spinach
For the garnish
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- rice wine vinegar
- limes, fresh green chiles, cilantro, and red chile sauce for garnish
- Steep the split lemongrass stalk in the coconut milk for several hours, or overnight. Remove lemongrass before using coconut milk.
- Soak sliced carrot and red onion in rice wine vinegar for several hours or overnight, then drain and set aside for the garnish.
- Chop the ginger, garlic, scallion, cilantro and chile. Combine the chopped spices and set aside.
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in 1 cup of hot water for half an hour, then remove the stems and slice into strips. Reserve the soaking liquid.
- In a 6-quart saucepan, heat oil, then add the chopped Spanish onion and cook over medium heat 3 minutes.
- Add curry powder or paste and cook for 30 seconds, then add chopped ginger, garlic, scallion and cilantro and cook 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock, shiitake liquid and root vegetables, then cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add coconut milk, lime juice, fish sauce, greens and mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve over jasmine rice.
Garnish with cilantro, pickled carrots and red onions, red chile sauce, and lime wedges. You may add chicken, duck, pork, fish or tofu.