- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, halved, sliced lengthwise
- salt, to taste
- 4 cups wild mushrooms, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 7 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 cup coarse polenta
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 4 duck eggs, fried sunny-side up
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and sauté shallots with salt until wilted.
- Add mushrooms, thyme and a touch of olive oil. Heat until liquid releases from the mushrooms.
- Add 4 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until half the liquid is gone.
- Stir in chives and red pepper, and hold over low heat until ready to serve.
For the Polenta
- Heat 3 cups chicken stock in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add polenta, salt and pepper. Stir until semi-soft.
- Stir in cheese and a splash of cream.
To serve, divide polenta among 4 bowls. Top with the mushroom-shallot mixture and place a fried duck egg on top.