- 1 1/2 cups fine cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 3/4 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 cup sweet corn, cut off the cobb
- 1/8 cup jalapeños, diced
- oil (canola or peanut) for frying
- raw honey (preferably wildflower, or your favorite) to finish
- Heat oil to 350° to 400° F (using a candy thermometer).
- Mix dry ingredients, then add vegetables and toss together.
- Crack in egg and add buttermilk to the vegetables and mix until just incorporated.
- Drop tablespoon-size portions of the buttermilk mix into the hot oil and fry about 5 minutes—until the hushpuppies are golden crispy on outside and not doughy inside.
- Plate, then drizzle with raw honey. Serve hot.