2 tablespoons butter
2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups leeks, trimmed and sliced
4 cups chicken stock
salt to taste
3/4 cup heavy cream
chopped chives for garnish
1. Melt the butter in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan.
2. Sauté the leeks and potatoes for a few minutes, until softened.
3. Add the stock to the saucepan, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 25 minutes.
4. Transfer the mixture to a metal bowl and purée.
5. Return to saucepan, stir in the cream and season with salt.
Serve warm or chilled, sprinkled with chopped chives.