- Canola oil (for deep-frying)
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chilled stout or dark beer
- 4 medium zucchini, cut diagonally into 3/4-inch-thick slices
- Pour enough oil into heavy large saucepan to measure 3 inches in depth. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers the oil temperature 350º F.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Add stout. Whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Working in batches of 5 or 6 zucchini slices and using tongs, dip zucchini slices into batter and add to hot oil.
- Cook zucchini until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer fritters to paper towels and drain.
- Sprinkle fritters with salt and serve.